The central courtyard of the MuseumsQuartier becomes a trendy hot spot in the summer.
© WienTourismus/Peter Rigaud
More than 210 discounts and free travel with the Vienna Card
15 - 21°C
15 - 19°C
From 18 October 2013, the state rooms of the Winter Palace on Himmelpfortgasse in the 1st district will be open to the public again. The Belvedere is opening the Baroque rooms with an exhibition to mark the 350th birthday of the field marshal Prince Eugene of Savoy (1663-1736), which runs until 25 May 2014. Subjects dealt with include the history of the palace's construction, the artists that accompanied Prince Eugene and the emperors whom the Savoyois served. The highlight is the Collane of the Order of the Golden Fleece from the Prince's estate. At the same time as the birthday exhibition for Prince Eugene in the Winter palace, the show "Eugene of Savoy. The Menagerie of the Prince" also opens in the Upper Belvedere, which runs until 16 March 2014 with highlights of stuffed animals from the Museum of Natural History.
Afterward, the Winter Palace will become a place of encounter between the Baroque interior, the collections of the Belvedere as well as contemporary works of national and international artists. Works by Valie Export, Maria Lassnig, Arnulf Rainer, Erwin Wurm, Heimo Zobernig, Gerwald Rockenschaub, Markus Schinwald, Gelatin and others will find a new place of artistic discourse in the historic spaces, alongside works by international greats, such as Damien Hirst, Jan Fabre, Takashi Murakami, Anselm Kiefer, Julian Schnabel, Gerhard Richter and Olafur Eliasson.
At the end of the 17th century, the famous Austrian field marshal and art lover Prince Eugene commissioned the Austrian Baroque architect Johann Bernhard Fischer vom Erlach with the construction of the city palace on Himmelpfortgasse. The residential and ceremonial building, which opened in 1968, served as the Prince's winter residence. Further annexes and expansions by master builder Johann Lucas von Hildebrandt followed; he also designed the summer residence of Prince Eugene, the palace complex of the Belvedere. From 1848 until the start of the general refurbishment in 2007, the Winter Palace was home to the Finance Ministry.
The most important state rooms of the Winter Palace of Prince Eugene of Savoy include the Blue Salon with a ceiling fresco by Louis Dorigny, the Red Salon (the former audience room) with life-sized portraits of Josef I., Karl VI. and Prince Eugene on his favorite horse, the magnificent gold cabinet with mirrors and an artistically designed ceiling, as well as the battle room with seven paintings by Jacques Parrocel.
18 October 2013 - 25 May 2014
19 October 2013 - 16 March 2014
Reduced admission for persons with special needs and their escorts (3 Euro each). "Seeing differently" tours (tactile tours) in the Upper Belvedere: The tours with picture descriptions and tactile support are particularly suitable for blind and visually impaired visitors.
Multimedia guides with videos in Austrian Sign Language (OGS) are available to deaf and hearing impaired visitors. Over 30 videos provide information on selected works of the collection in the Upper Belvedere and on the palace and garden complex as well as the history of the Belvedere.
2 elevators reachable via a ramp (staff will provide assistance), wheelchairs available at the cloakroom.
Shop/café: a few steps (staff will provide assistance).