Museum of the Johann Strauss Dynasty
The music of the "Strausses" has lost none of its fascination down the years. Their waltz and operetta melodies resound in concert houses and at the traditional New Year's concert, which is broadcast to the whole world from Golden Hall of the Musikverein. In the Museum of the Johann Strauss Dynasty, which was opened in 2015, music lovers will find an opulent wealth of original historic pictures and documents from the period of the Viennese Biedermeyer to the Ringstrasse era of the late nineteenth century.
Several audio stations offer undisturbed, high-quality musical enjoyment. The show is arranged into 15 themed areas that can be perused as the mood takes you:
- The Strauss family tree
- The triumphal march of the waltz. Joseph Lanner and Johann Strauss Sr.
- Cheerful even in serious times. Vienna dances in the Biedermeier period
- From suburban violinist to manager and chief conductor
- The concert travels of the first waltz king in musical history, Johann Strauss Jr. From Dommayer debut to the taking over of his father's orchestra
- Josef Strauss - The genius who didn't want to be one
- Johann, Josef and Eduard. The triumvirate of the 1960s
- Music knows no bounds. The triumph of the second waltz king in Europe, Russia and America
- Imperial Ball music director Eduard Strauss continues the family tradition
- The Vienna World Exhibition of 1873 and "Die Fledermaus"
- Johann Strauss Jr as operetta composer
- Musical contemporaries of the Strauss family
- Industrial Revolution and the 'Gründerzeit' of the Danube monarchy reflected in Straussian works
- Strauss and Habsburg. The family of the waltz king and the Austrian imperial house
- Vienna's Ringstrasse as an overall work of art.
Special exhibition: "Johann Strauss international"
Tip: Strauss City Walks
MyVienna Recommendation: Strauss Tour - experience a city tour through Vienna following the traces of the famous Strauss dynasty - with descriptions and locations in the city map.
Strauss City Walk by Tita Büttner - a PDF download with detailed historical information and anecdotes for special strauss fans.
Museum of the Johann Strauss DynastyMüllnergasse 3, 1090 Wien
- Your benefit with the Vienna City Card: 30% off , 3€ off
- We, 10:00 - 13:00
- We, 15:00 - 18:00
- Th, 10:00 - 13:00
- Th, 15:00 - 18:00
- Fr, 10:00 - 13:00
- Fr, 15:00 - 18:00
- Sa, 10:00 - 13:00
- Sa, 15:00 - 18:00
- ATTENTION: CLOSED July 24 - August 17, 2019. For groups (from 10 persons): The museum opens on other days and times of the week after prior request (also during the summer closing time): Tel. +43 664 502 61 32, firstname.lastname@example.org.