Vienna Philharmonic Summer Night Concert
At the Summer Night Concert, the Vienna Philharmonic play open-air in Schönbrunn Palace park and to the familiar high standard. What is unusual is that they play this concert, held each year since 2004, with free admission: it is a way for the famous ensemble to give around 100,000 visitors and the global TV audience a special experience.
Musical guests Netrebko, Gergiev
Like every year, the guest conductor and soloists grace the concert with their participation. The baton for the 2018 Summer Night Concert is held by the Russian conductor Valery Gergiev. None other than opera star Anna Netrebko will sing arias by Giacomo Puccini, Francesco Cilea and Ruggero Leoncavallo.
This year’s program has the theme “An Italian Night” and is exclusively dedicated to selected works from the opera and ballet repertoire of Italian and Russian composers.
Program “An Italian Night”
- Gioacchino Rossini, overture to the opera Guillaume Tell, finale
- Giuseppe Verdi, overture to the opera La forza del destino
- Giacomo Puccini, Vissi d’arte, vissi d’amore, aria from the opera Tosca
- Pietro Mascagni, intermezzo from the opera Cavalleria rusticana
- Giuseppe Verdi, “Triumphal March” from the opera Aida
- Giuseppe Verdi, ballet music from the opera Aida
- Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky, “Neapolitan Dance” from the ballet Swan Lake
- Sergei Prokofiev, Montagues and Capulets from the ballet Romeo and Juliet, suite no. 2/1, op. 64b
- Francesco Cilea, Io son l’umile ancella, aria from the opera Adriana Lecouvreur
- Giacomo Puccini, intermezzo from the opera Manon Lescaut
- Ruggero Leoncavallo, Stridono lassù, aria from the opera Pagliacci
ORF broadcast times
Österreichische Rundfunk broadcasts the Summer Night Concert live with a slight time delay on the day of the event, as well as a repeat the following Sunday.
- Th, May 31, 2018, 21:05, ORF 2
- Sun, June 3, 2018, 18:40, ORF III
The concert can also be watched as a live-stream and for seven days afterward as a video on demand in the ORF-TVthek.
Vienna Philharmonic Summer Night Concert Schönbrunn 2018
May 31, 2018, 20:30
Alternative date in case of bad weather: June 1, 2018
Place: Schönbrunn Palace park, between Schönbrunn Palace and the Neptune Fountain. The stage is set up in front of the palace, access is solely via Hietzinger Tor or Meidlinger Tor. The main entrance via the Ehrenhof cannot be used by visitors. If the permitted amount of visitors has been reached, the park gates might be closed early.
Culinary offerings on the event site
Admission is free, no reservations required
Information, weather hotline, map: www.sommernachtskonzert.at
Experience the Summer Night Concert 2016 - now in 360°
Park at Schönbrunn Palace Entrance at Hietzinger TorMaxingstraße, 1130 Wien
- Seeing eye dogs allowed
Special offers for people with disabilities
Sightseeing-train through the palace park with hydraulic auto-lift for wheelchairs. Daily between 10 am and 6 pm from mid March until the end of October. Reduced price for wheelchair-users.
Daily until dusk, some sights only accessible through gentle climbs and over gravel paths.
- Further information