Vienna Philharmonic Summer Night Concert
At the Summer Night Concert, the Vienna Philharmonic play open-air in Schönbrunn Palace park and to the familiar high standard. What is unusual is that they play this concert, held each year since 2004, with free admission: it is a way for the famous ensemble to give around 100,000 visitors and the global TV audience a special experience.
Like every year, the guest conductor and soloists grace the concert with their participation. The baton for the 2017 Summer Night Concert is held by the German conductor and pianist Christoph Eschenbach.
At his side for the Summer Night Concert in Schönbrunn: the internationally successful American soprano and opera diva Renée Fleming.
Program “Fairytales and Myths”
- Antonín Dvořák: Carnival. Overture, op. 92 // "Za štíhlou gazelou", Aria of Armida from "Armida", op. 115 // Song to the Moon from "Rusalka"
- Peter Iljitsch Tschaikowsky: Adagio. Pas d'action and Waltz from "Sleeping Beauty" Suite, op. 66a, No. 2
- Sergej Rachmaninow: Sumerki (Twilight), op. 21, No. 3 // Ne poy, krasavitsa, pri mne (Sing not to me, beautiful maiden), op. 4, No. 4 // Vesenniye vodi (Spring waters), op. 14, No. 11
- Engelbert Humperdinck: Prelude to "Hansel und Gretel"
- John Williams: Hedwig’s Theme from "Harry Potter"
- Igor Strawinsky: Danse infernale, Berceuse and Finale from "L'Oiseau de feu" ("The Firebird"). Ballett Suite
Public Broadcast in Spain, Poland, Korea, China
If you are not in Vienna on May 25 you will have the chance to experience the concert in a public broadcast in Spain, Poland, Korea and China: Come by and enjoy a Viennese Concert Tradition! Entrance is free in all locations.
Live-Broadcast from Schönbrunn Palace on May 25, 2017 from 8:30 pm:
- Seoul, May 26, 2017 from 8:00 pm at Nanji Riverside Park
- Beijing, May 28, 2017 from 6:00 pm at Orange Hall/San Li Tun
ORF broadcast times
Österreichische Rundfunk broadcasts the Summer Night Concert live with a slight time delay on the day of the event, as well as a repeat the following Sunday.
- Th, 25 May 2017, 9.05 pm, ORF 2 and at 9.55 pm, 3sat
- Su, 28 May 2017, 8.15 pm, ORF III
- We, 21 June 2017, 2.05 pm: Radio broadcast on Ö1
The concert can also be watched as a live-stream and for seven days afterward as a video on demand in the ORF TVthek at http://tvthek.ORF.at
ORF honors the 175th anniversary of the orchestra with the documentary "The Vienna Philharmonic – More than music!", which will be shown on ORF2 at 10.55 pm on 25 May, right after the broadcast of the Summer Night Concert.
Vienna Philharmonic Summer Night Concert Schönbrunn 2017
25 May 2017, 8.30 pm
Alternative date in case of bad weather: 26 May 2017
Place: Schönbrunn Palace park, between Schönbrunn Palace and the Neptune Fountain. NEWS 2017: The stage is set up in front of the palace, access is solely via Hietzinger Tor or Meidlinger Tor. The main entrance via the Ehrenhof cannot be used by visitors.
Culinary offerings on the event site: from 12.00 noon
Admission is free, no reservations required
Information, weather hotline, map: www.sommernachtskonzert.at
Park at Schönbrunn Palace Entrance at Hietzinger TorMaxingstraße, 1130 Wien
- Seeing eye dogs allowed
Special offers for people with disabilities
Sightseeing-train through the palace park with hydraulic auto-lift for wheelchairs. Daily between 10 am and 6 pm from mid March until the end of October. Reduced price for wheelchair-users.
Daily until dusk, some sights only accessible through gentle climbs and over gravel paths.
- Further information