Vienna State Opera
This famous stage offers a different program every day, with over 60 operas and ballet works on around 300 days per season.
Program 2019/20 – wide-ranging and extensive
With 58 different operas an 21 ballet productions, the State Opera offers an incredibly extensive program in the 2019/20 season, ranging from Handel's Ariodante and Eötvös' Tri Sestri to the premieres of Albin Fries' Persinette and Olga Neuwirth's Orlando. There are also children's programs as well as numerous concerts, matinées, and special events.
Six opera premieres will be performed at the renowned house on the Ring during the 2019/20 season:
- Benjamin Britten's A Midsummer Night's Dream (October 2, 2019)
- Olga Neuwirth's Orlando (premiere, commissioned work of the Vienna State Opera; December 8, 2019)
- Albin Fries' Persinette (children's opera, commissioned work of the Vienna State Opera; December 21, 2019)
- Ludwig van Beethoven's Fidelio (original version "Leonore", February 1, 2020)
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's Così fan tutte (May 22, 2020)
- Giuseppe Verdi's Un ballo in maschera (June 15, 2020)
Audience members can individually switch on subtitles – in German, English, Italian, French, Spanish, Russian, Chinese and Japanese. The 2,021 displays at the seats also offer information about the cast and contents of the performance (German or English). By the way: The subtitles can be integrated manually by clicking a button, since all performances have different pacing.
Vienna Opera Ball: High point of the ball season
At the Vienna Opera Ball, the Vienna State Opera is transformed into the world’s most famous ballroom. The committee, consisting of approximately 150 pairs of young men and women in white ball gowns and tails, ensures a glamorous opening of the Opera Ball.
Opera live outdoors
In April, May, June, September and December, more than 80 opera and ballet performances will be screened live on Herbert-von-Karajan-Platz in front of the opera building on a 50 m² screen - it's classical enjoyment for free!
Livestreaming from the Vienna State Opera
What's more, you can take a tour to catch a glimpse of what goes on backstage at the magnificent opera house.
Vienna State Opera (Wiener Staatsoper)Opernring 2, 1010 Wien
Side entrance on right under the arcades on Herbert-von-Karajan-Platz. From side entrance, access to elevator via inclined elevator (stairlift) in lobby.
- 2 Steps (Swinging doors 87 cm wide )
Parking spaces for people with disabilities
Operngasse, Opernring intersection
- Parking spaces for people with disabilities
- 95 cm wide and 140 cm low , Door 80 cm wide
- Seeing eye dogs allowed
- 22 Wheelchair spaces available (4 in the stalls/orchestra, 18 seats in the gallery as needed)
- Wheelchair accessible restroom available.
Special offers for people with disabilities
Tours in ten languages, prior notification for wheelchair users necessary (Tel. +43 1 514 44–2606). Language display.
Portable ramps available for steps inside building.
To reserve wheelchair and companion seats for performances, tel. +43 1 514 44-2653 (Mo-Fri, 9.00 am – 4.00 pm)
- Side entrance