My kind of music
The Danube Island Festival is the granddaddy of them all: on the last weekend of June international stars and local heroes create a party atmosphere to tell the grandkids about, at Europe’s largest free open-air music festival. Artists perform music from every genre under the sun on around a dozen stages to three million visitors. The festival will take place for the 35th time in 2018.
The Music Film Festival is one of the city’s most popular summer attractions. Attracting round 850,000 people each July and August, this annual event on Rathausplatz is a magnet for late-night crowds looking to get away from it all with a culinary and cinematic flight of fancy. Fine food and free music films covering everything from opera to pop set the scene for a perfect summer’s night – daily and admission is completely free of charge!
In addition to these two fan favorites, the city also offers an impressive range of genre-specific events for music lovers to enjoy. A selection of festivals for anyone looking to find out more about the sounds of contemporary Vienna:
- 19th International Accordion Festival – celebrating the instrument’s versatility (Feb 24-Mar 25, 2018)
- Vienna Blues Spring – the world’s longest festival devoted to the genre (March 20-April 20, 2018).
- Electric Spring – with stars of the local electronic music scene (April 2018)
- wean hean – the Wienerlied Festival (April-May 2018)
- Donaukanaltreiben – open-air music and culture festival (end of May 2018)
- Vienna Jazz Festival – top stars at the best venues (start of July 2018)
- Popfest Wien – Austria’s innovative pop scene on Karlsplatz (July 2018)
- Africa Days Vienna – toe-tapping world music (Jul 27-Aug 15, 2018)
- Gürtel Night Walk – the city’s longest music drag (Aug 25, 2018)
- Waves Vienna – from alternative to electronica (fall 2018)
- KlezMore-Festival – Jewish klezmer music (Nov 10-25, 2018)
- Vienna Jazzfloor – 100 concerts in nine clubs (November 2018)
- Voice Mania – a cappella festival (November/December 2018)