The Orient begins in Vienna when the cosmopolitan festival Salam Orient highlights artists from the oriental cultural space and their friends for the thirteenth time. Salam Orient provides the opportunity to go on an exciting journey to a wide range of cultures: from Spain via the Maghreb to East Africa and onward to the Middle East and Asia.
This year's program ranges from the traditionally inspired sounds of the Middle East to the jazzy-funky and percussive music of Africa and the hot rhythms of Andalusia.
- Souad Massi, the enchanting voice of the Maghreb, opens Salam Orient (17 October 2017, Porgy & Bess).
- The multi-ethnic Debo Band from the USA revives the musical past of Ethiopia (18 October 2017, Porgy & Bess).
- L'Hijâz'Car from France pack the sounds of the Mediterranean into modern compositions (19 October 2017, Sargfabrik).
- The Mugham singer Nuriyya Hüseynova makes music with the chamber orchestra Kaspische Virtuosen (21 October 2017, RadioKulturhaus).
- The Iranian-Taiwanese formation Kurdophone combines traditional instruments with electronic sounds (23 October 2017, Sargfabrik).
- Faiz Ali Faiz, the grand master of the Indian singing style 'qawwali', moves audiences with spiritual songs (24 October 2017, Theater Akzent).
- Alireza Ghorbani presents classical Persian song (29 October 2017, Wiener Konzerthaus).
- Culmination of Salam Orient with the Moroccan-Spanish ensemble Flamenco Chekara (31 October 2017, Theater Akzent)
17-31 October 2017
Various venues across Vienna
Program, information, tickets: www.salam-orient.at