The Orient begins in Vienna when the cosmopolitan festival Salam Orient highlights artists from the oriental cultural space and their friends for the fourteenth time. Salam Orient provides the opportunity to go on an exciting journey to a wide range of regions in the Middle East and the Arab countries.
Poetry to pop
- Salam Orient 2018 will be opened by the versatile Lebanese artist Yasmine Hamdan, described by Britain's Guardian newspaper as "the modern face of Arabic music".
- The young ensemble Masaa, led by the Lebanese poet Rabih Lahoud, has already scooped up all of Germany's music prizes and is now making its debut in Austria.
- The charismatic Sudanese singer/songwriter Alsarah & the Nubatones thrills audiences with her "East African Retro Pop".
- Paul Gulda and Marwan Abado together with Derya Türkan on the ‘kamancheh' (a kind of violin) create new sounds ranging from Bach to Ottoman classical music to free improvisation.
- The Yamma Ensemble is one of Israel's most important formations for contemporary Hebrew music and presents poetic songs.
- The newcomer band 47Soul from the Middle East presents its unique genre "Shamstep": a fusion of traditional street music, electronic beats, funk, hip hop and rock.
- A Kurdish evening of song combines the renowned singer and filmmaker Nizamettin Ariç and the singer Sakîna Teyna with Kurdish Female Voices in a double concert.
- Earthly and at the same time other-worldly are the old Armenian sounds of the Nagash Ensemble.
Salam Orient 2018 – Music & Art Festival
October 15-23, 2018
Various venues across Vienna
Program, information, tickets: www.salam-orient.at