Like the Schauspielhaus in Hamburg, the Vienna Volkstheater was built by the architects Ferdinand Fellner and Hermann Helmer. From the outset, the focus was on Austrian authors. Nowadays, the repertoire of the Volkstheater includes Austrian as well as German and international classics.
Party and concerts in the Red Bar
The Volkstheater houses the eye-catching, in the meantime cultic Red Bar. As a theater café its doors are open every evening - a chill-out zone after exciting theater evenings or a springboard into the Viennese nights. In addition, the Red Bar turns into a literature and theme salon on Sunday mornings, occasionally offering late-night programs and live music. Once a month a party is celebrated to DJ sounds.
VolkstheaterArthur-Schnitzler-Platz 1, 1070 Wien
- Closed from May to October 2018 due to renovation (theater procuctions move to different locations, see website).
- Die Abendkassa in der Roten Bar ist eine halbe Stunde vor Veranstaltungsbeginn geöffnet. Zugang über Haupteingang Volkstheater oder Seiteneingang Burggasse/Straßenbahnhaltestelle.
(Double swinging doors
accessible only via steps
- (Double swinging doors 150 cm wide )
entrance via Museumsstrasse
- no steps (Swinging doors )
- 4 Parking spaces for people with disabilities
- Seeing eye dogs allowed
- 10 Wheelchair spaces available (entrance above Museumsstrasse)
- Wheelchair accessible restroom available.
Special offers for people with disabilities
Theater tour for the visually impaired.
- Main entrance