Krautfleckerl - Austrian pasta with caramelized cabbage
- 250 g / 1 cup of pasta (raw)
- 500 g / 2 cups of cabbage (white, without stalk)
- 100-150 g / 0.4-0.6 cups of bacon (or breakfast bacon)
- 2 tbsp. / 2.5 tbsp. of crystal sugar
- 2 onions (large)
- 80 g / 0.3 cups of pork dripping
- Pepper (from the mill)
- Beef stock (to pour over)
Bring sufficient salty water to the boil in a pan and cook the pasta until al dente. Strain, plunge briefly in cold water and allow to drain well. Meanwhile, cut the cabbage (without stalk or large outer leaves) into small squares, finely dice the onion. Cut the bacon into small pieces and sweat in hot dripping.
Add the sugar and allow to caramelize. Mix in the onions, braise briefly and then add the cabbage. Pour on a little beef stock, add salt and pepper. Steam the cabbage for about 30 minutes until soft, add a little more beef stock as necessary, but do not allow to become too wet. Add drained pasta and heat again briefly. Season with salt and pepper before serving.
Cook the pasta until it is really just al dente, otherwise it will become soft and mushy when heated up again.
Further recipes: www.ichkoche.at