25 years of Kunst Haus Wien
The museum designed by the artist and "green visionary" Friedensreich Hundertwasser is located in the 3rd district and was opened in 1991. Not far away is the Hundertwasserhaus, a residential house with a colorfully decorated façade, which has become a real crowd-puller. The Kunst Haus Wien presents an extensive permanent exhibition on the life and work of the artist and architect, who died in 2000, as well as regular special exhibitions of contemporary photography - from Annie Leibovitz to David LaChapelle and Henri Cartier-Bresson.
In 2015, the Kunst Haus Wien repositioned itself as a "green museum" with a focus - entirely in the spirit of Hundertwasser - on current environmental topics and opened additional exhibition spaces: "Galerie" and "Garage" serve as places of discourse for young artists.
Highlights of the 25th birthday
- On 6 May, the Kunst Haus Wien holds an open day: admission to all exhibitions is free of charge on this day. And for the first time, exclusive guided tours of Hundertwasser's former and highly original penthouse apartment will be offered.
- A "Hundertwasser Walk" between Kunst Haus Wien and Hundertwasserhaus provides interesting facts on triangular columns about the life and work of the multi-talented artist, as even Friedensreich Regentag Dunkelbunt Hundertwasser called himself.
- From 3 June, a special exhibition is dedicated to the British photographer Martin Parr, who numbers amongst the most influential contemporary photographers with his documentary works. Parr will travel twice to Austria to photograph a new group of works in Vienna, which can be seen in the exhibition for the first time (until 2 November 2016).
- The large anniversary exhibition starting on 16 November is dedicated to the Austrian photographer Peter Dressler who died in 2013. The artist and collector exerted a considerable influence on Austrian photography from the 1970s onwards. His portfolio is characterized by an interest in photographic-cinematic processes and the work he did with image series, tableaux and picture stories, which he frequently presented in the form of art books (on until 23 April 2017).
- In the Garage, which is filled with artistic works that deliberately blur the boundaries between art and disposed of everyday objects, an exhibition by Barbara Hollub entitled "Ent-Sorgung" runs from 14 July to 10 November 2016.
Kunst Haus Wien Museum HundertwasserUntere Weißgerberstraße 13 , 1030 Wien
- Your benefit with the Vienna Card: 20/25% off (Kombikarte € 9 statt € 12)
- daily, 10:00 - 18:00
- Free tours: Hundertwasser exhibition (permanent) Tu, 15:00
- no steps (Swinging doors )
- 250 cm wide and 120 cm low , Door 200 cm wide
- Seeing eye dogs allowed
- Wheelchair accessible restroom available.
Main entrance and access to the restaurant / café: no steps, , floors are uneven, elevator.
- Main entrance