Founded in May 1718 through the granting of an imperial privilege to make porcelain to Claudius Innocentius Du Paquier, the Augarten Porcelain Manufactory in Vienna set aesthetic standards from that time onward. Under Maria Theresa, the manufactory came into imperial ownership, in the classical period it attained a global reputation. After the Congress of Vienna (1814/15), the filigree pieces found their way into the royal and imperial courts of Europe and into the homes of the aristocracy. The Industrial Revolution caused a decline in the craft, which ended in the closure of the manufactory in 1864. The Augarten Porcelain Manufactory only reopened again in the Augarten Palace in 1923 and has hired contemporary artists to design its porcelain ever since.
To mark the 300th birthday of the Augarten Porcelain Manufactory, the Augarten Porcelain Museum presents its anniversary exhibition "eternally beautiful. 300 years of Viennese porcelain" (March 19 to October 15, 2018). At its center stands the dialog between the designers and the users of Viennese porcelain. Selective exhibits of innovative artists and designers of their respective epochs are shown: Marvels of the Baroque, cheerful objects of the Rococo, shiny gold porcelain of the classical period, simple pieces of the Biedermeier, fine creations of Art Deco, colorful figures of the 1950s and contemporary objects. Part of the presentation focuses on the designers who are currently cooperating with the Augarten Porcelain Manufactory to help shape the exhibition area.
Eternally beautiful. 300 years of Viennese porcelain 1718-2018
March 19 to October 15, 2018
Porcelain Museum in the AugartenObere Augartenstraße 1, 1020 Wien
- Adults €6
- Your benefit with the Vienna City Card: 2€ off
- Mo - Sa, 10:00 - 18:00
- Su, 10:00 - 17:00
- on holidays, 10:00 - 17:00
- no steps (Double swinging doors )
- 150 cm wide and 180 cm low , Door 120 cm wide
- Seeing eye dogs allowed
- Wheelchair accessible restroom available.
- Main entrance