Otto Wagner Court Pavilion Hietzing
It was also Wagner’s idea to give the city rail a stop for exclusive use by the emperor and his court - and where else to locate it than at Schönbrunn Palace, the summer residence of the imperial house. However, an emperor doesn’t usually ride the city rail, and so Franz Joseph only used “his” stop twice: In 1899 to open the Untere Wiental line of the city rail and in 1902 to view the Danube Canal line.
As always, Otto Wagner’s plan was a function one, with the court stop including a waiting room for the imperial entourage as well as a study for the emperor, who - known for being an untiring worker - would even have found a writing desk here.
These rooms and the precious furnishings in the Art Nouveau style - matt red silk wallpapers, knotted carpet with philodendron motif, mahogany paneling, fireplaces with artistic guards - are accessible to everyone nowadays.
Otto Wagner's Court Pavillon (Hietzing) (Otto Wagner Hofpavillon Hietzing)Schönbrunner Schloßstraße , 1130 Wien