Klimt at the "Burgtheater"
In the gala stairwell on the "Landtmann" side of the Burgtheater - the side nearest the renowned Café Landtmann - Gustav Klimt recreated the theater of antiquity in Taormina, Sicily. The stairwell on the "Volksgarten" side is adorned with a depiction of the London Globe Theatre and the final scene from Shakespeare’s "Romeo and Juliet." In the background, the painter immortalized himself and his two colleagues.
Emperor Franz Joseph was so delighted with the paintings in the gala stairwells that he bestowed the Golden Cross of Merit on the members of the artists’ group.
Other stations of the Klimt Walk:
- A Klimt Walk through Vienna
- Ceiling painting by Klimt
- Klimt's Beethoven Frieze
- Art in Passing: Karlsplatz
- The Leopold Museum
- Apprenticeship of a Genius
- A Kiss makes History
BurgtheaterUniversitätsring 2, 1010 Wien
- +43 1 51444 4140 (Tickets & information at service center)
- +43 1 51444 4440 (Evening box office)
- +43 1 513 1 513 (Tickets (credit card))
- Guided tours: in German (with English summaries), time: about one hour Mo - Th, 15:00
- Guided tours: in German and English; other languages upon request, time: about one hour Fr - Su, 15:00
(Double swinging doors
ramp will be mobilized, please ring the porter
- Ramp 300 cm wide
- no steps (Double swinging doors 170 cm wide )
Parking spaces for people with disabilities
in the Burgtheater parking lot – Volksgarten side
- 3 Parking spaces for people with disabilities
- 180 cm wide and 200 cm low , Door 160 cm wide
- Seeing eye dogs allowed
- 12 Wheelchair spaces available (in the auditorium, access with the elevator)
- Wheelchair accessible restroom available.
Special offers for people with disabilities
At each performance, the Burgtheater provides places in the stalls with acoustic amplification by means of induction for visitors who wear a hearing aid. The acoustic signal is also amplified for all visitors. This can be received in the theater during the performance on radio frequency 99.2 MHz using a radio receiver, mobile telephone or MP3 player with radio reception. Please bring your own headset.
Special tours for visitors with disabilities and special needs on prior notification.
Prior notification is necessary for visitors with wheelchairs for admission tickets and tours. Tel. +43 1 514 44-4140, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Side entrance
Guided tours (Sept. 1 - June 30): in German and English, duration about one hour, daily 3:00 pm;
Mon - Thu in German with English summary;
Fri - Sun in German and English; other languages upon request