Ever since 1776, when Emperor Joseph II founded the Court and National Theater, the institution preceding the present-day Burgtheater, this theater, with its distinguished company, has held a leading position in the dramatic arts of the German-speaking countries. For the season 2014/15, the Burgtheater was awarded "Theater of the Year" by the German-language journal "Theater heute".
Guided tours: daily 3 p.m.
Guided tours in German: Monday-Thursday.
Guided tours in German and English: Friday-Sunday, public holidays (Exception: in July and August all tours, on every day of the week, are in German and English).
Lasting about 1 hour.
Information and prior arrangement for groups by tel. +43 1 514 44-4140.
Wenn Sie ausreichend Deutsch verstehen, um Burgtheater-Aufführungen live mitzuerleben, sind Sie hier richtig:
The Burgtheater on Google Arts & Culture
Over 1,400 leading museums and cultural institutions make their cultural treasures accessible online via the Google Arts & Culture platform. Among other things, the Burgtheater shows a close-up of Gustav Klimt's self portrait - Part of the important ceiling paintings, which Gustav Klimt realized with his brother Ernst and Franz Matsch in the area of the grand staircases in 1887.
There is also a street view tour of the theater and the paintings of the new portrait gallery.
BurgtheaterUniversitätsring 2, 1010 Wien
- +43 1 51444 4140 (Tickets & information at service center)
- +43 1 51444 4440 (Evening box office)
- +43 1 513 1 513 (Tickets (credit card))
- Guided tours: in German (with English summaries), time: about one hour Mo - Th, 15:00
- Guided tours: in German and English; other languages upon request, time: about one hour Fr - Su, 15:00
(Double swinging doors
ramp will be mobilized, please ring the porter
- Ramp 300 cm wide
- no steps (Double swinging doors 170 cm wide )
Parking spaces for people with disabilities
in the Burgtheater parking lot – Volksgarten side
- 3 Parking spaces for people with disabilities
- 180 cm wide and 200 cm low , Door 160 cm wide
- Seeing eye dogs allowed
- 12 Wheelchair spaces available (in the auditorium, access with the elevator)
- Wheelchair accessible restroom available.
Special offers for people with disabilities
At each performance, the Burgtheater provides places in the stalls with acoustic amplification by means of induction for visitors who wear a hearing aid. The acoustic signal is also amplified for all visitors. This can be received in the theater during the performance on radio frequency 99.2 MHz using a radio receiver, mobile telephone or MP3 player with radio reception. Please bring your own headset.
Special tours for visitors with disabilities and special needs on prior notification.
Prior notification is necessary for visitors with wheelchairs for admission tickets and tours. Tel. +43 1 514 44-4140, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Side entrance