St. Charles Church
The church, finished in 1739 by his son Joseph Emanuel Fischer von Erlach, was built as the result of a vow taken by Emperor Charles VI during a plague epidemic. The church is consecrated to the patron saint of the Habsburg emperor, Saint Charles Borromeo: The exhibits in the small Museo Borromeo include the traveling clothes of the Bishop of Milan.
The renovation of the High Altar, designed by Fischer von Erlach, has been completed and it has regained its original splendor. The opulent frescoes in the cupola by Johannes Michael Rottmayr contain 1250 square meters of incredible splendor and beautiful colors; they show the glory of Saint Charles Borromeo.
St. Charles' Church (Karlskirche)Karlsplatz , 1040 Wien
- Adults €8,00
- Erhaltungsbeitrag, inkl. Lift
- Your benefit with the Vienna Card: 50% off
- Mo - Sa, 09:00 - 12:30
- Mo - Sa, 13:00 - 18:00
- Su, 12:00 - 17:45
- on holidays, 12:00 - 17:45
- last cupola ride with the elevator at 5:30 p.m.
Heavy wooden door
- 14 Steps ( Door 300 cm wide )
2 tracks over the steps, wooden door
- 13 Steps
- Seeing eye dogs allowed
Special offers for people with disabilities
Visitors with ID for persons with special needs: free entry and elevator to the panorama.
Interior: 11 steps. Ask staff for assistance.
- Main entrance
U, Tram, Bus: Karlsplatz/Oper