St. Stephen's Cathedral
St. Stephen's Cathedral is 107.2 meters long and 34.2 meters wide. It has four towers. The tallest of these is the south tower at 136.44 meters. The tower room, from which there is a gigantic view across Vienna, is reached via 343 steps. A total of 13 bells hang here. However, the best-known bell of St. Stephen's Cathedral, the Pummerin, is located in the 68.3 meter-tall north tower. It is the second-biggest free-swinging chimed church bell in Europe. On the roof of St. Stephen's Cathedral, colorful roof tiles were laid to create the Royal and Imperial double-headed eagle and the coat of arms of the city of Vienna. The interior of St. Stephen's Cathedral was changed again and again over the centuries, right through to the Baroque period.
A visit to St. Stephen's Cathedral is a must for every visitor to Vienna.
In addition to valuable altars and side chapels, the impressive cathedral treasure can also be seen, including relics decorated with gold and precious stones, monstrances, liturgical texts and books as well as vestments. Numerous important people were also given their final resting place in St. Stephen's Cathedral: Emperor Friedrich III. was buried in an impressive marble sarcophagus. The tomb’s cover slab alone weighs eight tonnes. Prince Eugene of Savoy has his final resting place in a private chapel. And famous names buried in the catacombs of St. Stephen's Cathedral include the Habsburg duke Rudolph IV. “the founder", who laid the foundation stone for the Gothic reconstruction of the cathedral in 1359. In addition, the graves of Vienna’s cardinals and archbishops can be found in the catacombs.
St. Stephen's Cathedral (Stephansdom)Stephansplatz, 1010 Wien
- Mo - Sa, 06:00 - 22:00
- Su, 07:00 - 22:00
- on holidays, 07:00 - 22:00
- Guided tour of the Cathedral, duration approx. 30 minutes daily
- English guided tour of the Cathedral, duration approx. 30 minutes Mo - Sa, 10:30
- Guided tour of the catacombs, every quarter or half an hour, duration approx. 30 minutes Mo - Sa, 10:00 - 10:30
- Guided tour of the catacombs, every quarter or half an hour, duration approx. 30 minutes Mo - Sa, 13:30 - 16:30
- Guided tour of the catacombs, every quarter or half an hour, duration approx. 30 minutes Su, 13:30 - 16:30
- Guided tour of the catacombs, every quarter or half an hour, duration approx. 30 minutes on holidays, 13:30 - 16:30
- Elevator to the Pummerin bell (January – June & September – December) daily, 08:15 - 16:25
- Elevator to the Pummerin bell (July & August) daily, 08:15 - 18:00
- Ascend the South Tower of the Cathedral daily, 09:00 - 17:30
- July - September: Evening tour including tour of the roof Sa, 19:00
- no steps (Double swinging doors 120 cm wide )
- 3 Steps (Double swinging doors 90 cm wide )
- Seeing eye dogs allowed
Access to the Treasuries and museum by elevator (warning: steps!), not wheelchair-accessible, daily from 10 am - 6 pm. Closed Sun and public holidays.
North Tower: access via elevator only (door width: 65 cm) and 12 steps (not wheelchair-accessible). South Tower: 343 steps (not wheelchair-accessible).
Parking space for visitors with disabilities (Singerstrasse).
- Main entrance