House of the Sea
Austria’s largest aquarium is located in the House of the Sea: A 300,000 liter tank holds black and white tip sharks, bamboo sharks, and Puppi, a sea turtle. Another highlight is the 150,000-liter tank for the hammerhead sharks on the tenth floor of the former anti-aircraft tower. On the ground floor, visitors can walk through the ten meter-long Atlantic Tunnel: A tunnel leads through a 500,000-liter tank, which is home to the fish of the Atlantic Ocean - ranging from damselfish to eagles rays and a nurse shark. And the café on the 11th floor grants visitors a breathtaking view of Vienna.
In the House of the Tropics and the Croc-Park you can see free-flying birds and free-roaming apes, crocodiles, and other animals categorized by habitat. In the terrarium section live poisonous as well as giant snakes, lizards, leaf-cutter ants, and tarantulas. And the Adventure Aquarium "Brandungsriff" lets children experience the tropical fish right up close through the "diver‟s helmets" built into the floor of the aquarium. In an artificial stalactite cave grotto, you can observe over 100 animals and cave-dwellers which are active by night: poisonous giant millipedes, amplypigids and armored ground crickets, cave fish without eyes and scorpions that glow like ghosts under UV light.
Feeding times and guided tours:
Grasping nature - Wednesday 2pm. You can grasp nature in the truest sense of the word:
- Who would like to touch a shark's teeth in complete safety or know what its skin feels like?
- Who would like to look deep into the mouth of the famously infamous piranha, or touch a cobra?
- Who would like to know what a tortoise shell looks like from the inside and how it is structured?
- Or have you ever touched the stinger of a stingray, with its barbs?
- Who would like to experience jellyfish babies, starfish eyes, bristleworms with needles filled with poison, or one-eyed cyclops crustaceans live? The Microscope Show offers the opportunity to do just that.
Shark Diving Thu 6pm
Feeding of sharks Mon 10.30am, Wed 3pm, Fri 3.30pm
Feeding of piranhas Tue 3pm, Sat 9.30am
Feeding of reptiles Sun 10am, Thu 7pm
The exhibition "Remembering inside" is concerned with the dark history of the anti-aircraft tower. It includes original exhibits and boards on the building’s history, and is displayed in the stairwell between the 9th and 10th Floors, which has largely been kept in its original state. Guided tours take place daily at 11 am and 4 pm.
View of Vienna
Another attraction is the panoramic view of Vienna's sea of houses from the roof terrace. Athletic visitors can climb the 192 steps of the tower stairs on the outside to enjoy the view from a height of 35 meters, independent of a trip to the zoo.
House of the Sea (Haus des Meeres)Fritz-Grünbaum-Platz 1 (Esterházypark) , 1060 Wien
- Adults €15,80
- Children (3 to 5 years) €4,90
- Children (6 to 15 years) €7,30
- Tower stairs €5.00 (chip deposit €10.00)
- Your benefit with the Vienna Card: Special gift
- daily, 09:00 - 18:00
- Th, 09:00 - 21:00
- no steps ( Door 100 cm wide )
- 250 cm wide and 200 cm low , Door 150 cm wide
- Wheelchair accessible restroom available.
All exhibition rooms accessible by elevator, shark pool: 5 steps
- Main entrance