Vienna Festival 2017
The first Vienna Festival edition of the new artistic director Tomas Zierhofer-Kin serves up a brand new program and new performance venues. He brings lots of different genres and artists to Vienna and aims at "merging performance, music, visual art and theater into a spaceship of art that connects the past and future to each other."
Opening for all
The Vienna Festival gets under way at Vienna's City Hall Square on 12 May. The free open-air concert has delighted thousands of people year after year and is broadcast around the world.
Avant-garde and Hollywood flair
Lots of productions are set to grab people's attention. Here's a selection:
- The Canadian collective Mammalian Diving Reflex literally puts its hands on the audience in "Haircuts by Children" and devotes itself to the taboo subject of sex in old age ("All The Sex I've Ever Had").
- Multiple political and global references are made, such as in the performance "Democracy in America" by Romeo Castellucci and in "Traiskirchen. Das Musical" by Die Schweigende Mehrheit (The Silent Majority).
- Gintersdorfer/Klassen and Benedikt von Peter adapt Mozart's classic "Die Entführung aus dem Serail": Their "Les Robots ne connaissent pas le Blues" celebrates its premiere on 26 May.
- The Vienna Festival also attracts with big names in 2017: Hollywood star Jude Law plays in "Obsession", with Belgium's Ivo van Hove directing this theater version based on Visconti's film.
- Jonathan Meese, in collaboration with the composer Bernhard Lang, reinterprets Wagner's "Parsifal" as a space opera entitled "Mondparsifal Alpha 1-8 (Erzmutterz der Abwehrz)". Simone Young provides the musical direction; the premiere is on 4 June at Theater an der Wien.
Three new festival elements
The three new elements include the discourse section "Academy of Unlearning", offering talks and activities with free admission.
The second element, the "Performeum", presents different performance genres on an Austrian Federal Railways site in Vienna-Favoriten, including the "House of Realness", which works with queer identity and aesthetics.
Schloss Neugebäude is the stage for "Hyperreality", a small sub-festival for club culture as the third new element. Sounds from the clubs and the electronic scene can be heard here, with guests including Holly Herndon, Merzbow and Forest Swords.
Vienna Festival 2017
12 May - 18 June 2017, various venues
Program, information, tickets: www.festwochen.at