In summer 2023, there will once again be dancing full of emotions as Vienna become the European hub of contemporary dance. ImPulsTanz has knuckled down and marks its 40th anniversary by presenting a considerable performance program as well as its workshops and research projects for active individuals. The festival is good for the city: Visitors, workshop participants, performers, and choreographers form a multicultural, open community, which leaves its mark on the city in summer.
More than 50 Performances
On Vienna's many stages and in the city's museums, ImPulsTanz 2023 will sparkle with its unique range of activities: Highlights of dance history, revivals, and premieres can be seen, from large stage shows to intimate formats, from icons to newcomers. Need a few examples?
- Premiere: Needcompany from Belgium presents its version of all Shakespeare comedies on one evening (director: Jan Lauwers).
- Anne Juren and the Franco-Swedish choreographer Frédéric Gies develop brand new solo works for one another.
- Boris Charmatz, new director of the dance theater Wuppertal Pina Bausch, presents his virtuoso solo SOMNOLE.
- Steven Cohen, a sensual-radical performer from South Africa, honors the festival with Boudoir.
For the anniversary edition, ImPulsTanz brings performances of audience favorites from past years back to the stage:
- Anne Teresa De Keersmaker / Rosa show their subtle duo Fase, Four Movements to the Music of Steve Reich
- Akemi Takeya's The Act of LemoDada experiences a revival.
- A spectacular reunion is promised by Doris Uhlich on the 10th anniversary of the play more than naked
- Trajal Harrell – one of the most important choreographers of the present time – charms audiences again with Maggie The Cat and The Köln Concert
- Meg Stuart returns with her group play BLESSED
Among the other performance highlights are international greats like Lucinda Childs as well as newcomers like Benjamin Abel Meirhaeghe and Marina Otero. And the domestic scene also announces itself with the acclaimed Liquid Loft and toxic dreams.
Dancing for yourself is about feeling oneself. In all intensity. The ImPulsTanz workshops – in parallel with the performance program – therefore cordially invite absolutely everyone to do so, from beginners to trained dancers. Many workshop participants are so enthusiastic that they return year after year and share their passion for dance as a big ImPulsTanz community.
In the anniversary year, ImPulsTanz breaks a record with 29 new dance trainers – there have never been so many! For example, Dulce Villano shows how Eros can be explored through pole dancing, while José Manuel Àlvarez leads participants into the world of contemporary flamenco. In total, 134 internationally recognized lecturers and choreographers impart their knowledge in the workshop studios in Schmelz (where it all began in 1984) in over 210 workshops and research projects, from Afro-Fusion via hiphop and club styles to contemporary dance.
Then there are also the popular free outdoor dance classes Public Moves, distributed at five locations across the city.
For 40 years, ImPulsTanz has also meant partying together. The meeting point is the ImPulsTanz Festival Lounge in the Burgtheater vestibule. Here is where the music program Soçial takes place, here is the space for concerts and DJ sets with a different program every evening. The Live'n'Local series focuses on Austrian live acts and highly promising newcomers. At ImPulsTanz on Decks, ImPulsTanz artists, partners, and employees play their favorite tracks – diverse, not always perfect, but all the more charming for it. Legendary: The two big ImPulsTanz parties.
Dance tips away from ImPulsTanz
In Tanzquartier Wien, contemporary dance and performance are at home, and dance events of every kind are listed on the event calendar. Vienna is historically connected with "its" Viennese waltz, which guests of the city can also learn in the classical dance schools – in preparation for attending a Viennese ball.
ImPulsTanz – Vienna International Dance Festival 2023
July 6 – August 6, 2023
Performances at various venues
Workshops in Schmelz district
Information, program, registration: www.impulstanz.com
University Sports Center