In summer 2022, there will once again be dancing full of emotions as Vienna become the European hub of contemporary dance. ImPulsTanz has knuckled down and presents a considerable performance program as well as its workshops and research projects for active individuals. The festival is good for the city: Visitors, workshop participants, performers, and choreographers form a multicultural, open community, which leaves its mark on the city in summer.
Performances of every kind
On Vienna's many stages and in the city's museums, ImPulsTanz 2022 will sparkle with its unique range of activities: Highlights of dance history, revivals and premieres can be seen, from large stage shows to intimate formats, from icons to newcomers. Need a couple of examples?
- Wim Vandekeybus / Ultima Vez celebrate their 35th anniversary with a classic and a brand-new piece – a world premiere at ImPulsTanz!
- Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker presents Mystery Sonatas / For Rosa – a program for live Baroque music by Heinrich Ignaz Franz Biber.
- A second De Keersmaeker is also a guest at ImPulsTanz: Anne Teresa's sister Jolente. The actress dances choreography specially developed for her by Jérôme Bel.
- The British dancer and choreographer Akram Khan brings his sparkling show Jungle Book reimagined to Vienna: Rudyard Kipling's "Jungle Book" from Mowgli's perspective as a refugee, interwoven with aspects of the climate crisis.
- The versatile South Koren Geumhyung Jeong finally gets to showcase her works.
- Tanztheater Wuppertal Pina Bausch returns to ImPulsTanz with the danced water game Vollmond from 2006.
- The Needcompany presents All the good directed by Jan Lauwers.
- The Austrian dance scene sets powerful impulses: Florentina Holzinger holds a ballet class with pop, trash, and motocross with TANZ, Michael Turinsky and Philipp Gehmacher present solos, while Liquid Loft and Akemi Takeya present world premieres.
Dancing itself is about feeling oneself. In all intensity. The ImPulsTanz Festival – in parallel with the performance program – therefore cordially invites absolutely everyone to do so, from beginners to trained dancers. Workshop participant Nina Saurugg told us in an interview what fascinates her so much that she attends every year: The community, the passion for dance, the letting go...
In the spacious studios of the Arsenal, over 200 workshops and research projects of ImPulsTanz motivate both beginners and professionals to join in. There are also the free outdoor dance classes Public Moves as well as the music program Soçial in the ImPulsTanz Festival Lounge. Also continued are the training and development programs danceWEB (the high-ranking mentors are Wim Vandekeybus and Nicola Schössler), ATLAS – create your dance trails (coach: Guy Cools), and the Embodied Myoreflex Therapy Practitioner Certification. The programs ImPacT and Team up! are aimed at groups.
Dance tips away from ImPulsTanz
In Tanzquartier Wien, contemporary dance and performance are at home, and dance events of every kind are listed on the event calendar. Vienna is historically connected with "its" Viennese waltz, which guests of the city can also learn in the classical dance schools – in preparation for attending a Viennese ball.
ImPulsTanz – Vienna International Dance Festival 2022
July 7 – August 7, 2022
Performances at various venues
Workshops in the Arsenal
Information, program, registration: www.impulstanz.com