Stay overnight in Vienna
All employees in the hotel industry must be tested several times a week to ensure the safety of their guests.
The prerequisite for visiting restaurants, hotels, and cultural events, as well as open-air pools and other leisure facilities, is either a negative coronavirus test, proof of a vaccination or medical confirmation of recovery from Covid. PCR tests are valid for 48 hours; antigen tests are valid for 24 hours for people aged 12 and older. The general requirement to provide proof in Vienna applies to those aged 6 and above (PCR tests are valid for 72 hours for children between the ages of 6 and 12, antigen tests for 48 hours).
Safe Stay seal
As a sought-after travel destination, Vienna defined stringent safety and hygiene rules for accommodation providers from the outset. To go with these, there is now also a special safety seal called Safe Stay, which was developed by the Vienna Economic Chamber in cooperation with the Vienna Tourist Board. A COVID-19 officer and regular checks of employees are just two of the measures. An all-round carefree package ensures that guests staying at designated Viennese hotels (identifiable by the poster at the hotel entrance) can relax with peace of mind.
You can find all certified hotels in our hotel search.
Requirements for an overnight stay in a Viennese hotel:
- Upon arrival at the hotel, a negative corona test, vaccination confirmation, or proof of survived Covid-19 infection is required.
- This test does not need to be renewed for exclusive use of the room, suite or apartment.
- However, “entry tests” are required to use the hotel restaurant or wellness area. An antigen test is valid for 24 hours; a PCR test is valid for 48 hours .
- The following rules apply to people who have been vaccinated with a vaccine approved by the EMA or with a vaccine that has gone through the EUL (Emergency Use Listing) procedure of the WHO:
- The proof of vaccination for fully vaccinated people is valid for 360 days from the date of the second vaccination.
- Vaccines that are given as a single dose (e.g. Johnson & Johnson) are valid from the 22nd day after the vaccination for a total of 270 days from the date of vaccination.
- The vaccination is valid for 360 days from the date of the vaccination for recovered people who have been vaccinated once.
- The third vaccination (or the second vaccination for those who have had one shot or who have recovered from Covid) is valid for 360 days.
Testing for hotel guests – best practice:
- The campaign Alles gurgelt! from the City of Vienna: Many Viennese hotels offer free PCR gargle tests for their guests. These can be taken on site and either returned to reception or taken to one of the drop-off stations (Billa, Billa Plus, Bipa, Penny, BP-Merkur Inside, Jet-Billa Stop & Shop, Shell-Billa unterwegs). The result is available within 24 hours and is valid for 48 hours.
- In cooperation with the Vienna Medical Center, the Hotel Sacher offers its guests the possibility to get tested for COVID-19. The tests are performed in the guests’ rooms by a doctor using a throat swab. The result is available within 3-6 hours on average; the guest will receive a health certificate via email and can use it as required as confirmation for the return journey. You can find more information on the offer on the website of the Hotel Sacher.
- The Park Hyatt Vienna offers its own testing station (operated by the company Novogenia) right inside the hotel. Available from Monday to Saturday, from 8.00 am to 6.00 pm.
- Guests staying at all hotels in Vienna can utilize the service of DeliveryTest. A courier will come right to the hotel to collect the sample for a PCR test.
General tips on how to behave & hygiene measures (German only)