Stay overnight in Vienna
Hotels in Vienna are finally allowed to open for tourists again!
You can find a list of currently open hotels on the website of the Vienna Economic Chamber.
All employees in the hotel industry must be tested several times a week to ensure the safety of their guests.
Safe Stay seal
As a sought-after travel destination, Vienna defined stringent safety and hygiene rules for accommodation providers from the outset. To go with these, there is now also a special safety seal called Safe Stay, which was developed by the Vienna Economic Chamber in cooperation with the Vienna Tourist Board. A COVID-19 officer and regular checks of employees are just two of the measures. An all-round carefree package ensures that guests staying at designated Viennese hotels (identifiable by the poster at the hotel entrance) can relax with peace of mind.
You can find all certified hotels in our hotel search.
Requirements for an overnight stay in a Viennese hotel:
- Upon arrival at the hotel, a negative corona test, vaccination confirmation, or proof of survived Covid-19 infection is required.
- This test does not need to be renewed for exclusive use of the room, suite or apartment.
- However, "entry tests" are required for use of the hotel restaurant or spa area: an antigen test is valid for 48 hours, and a PCR test is valid for 72 hours.
- In public areas, an FFP2 mask must be worn and a minimum distance of two meters from other groups of guests must be maintained.
- For persons vaccinated with an EMA-approved vaccine, the following regulations apply:
- The initial vaccination is valid from the 22nd day after the 1st sting for a maximum of 3 months from the date of vaccination.
- The 2nd sting extends the validity period by an additional 6 months (thus a total of 9 months from the 1st sting).
- Vaccines where only one vaccination is scheduled (e.g., from Johnson & Johnson) are valid for a total of 9 months from the date of vaccination beginning on the 22nd day after vaccination.
- For previously recovered individuals who have previously been vaccinated once, the vaccination is valid for 9 months from the date of vaccination.
Testing for hotel guests – best practice:
- The City of Vienna's Alles gurgelt! campaign is being expanded: Many Viennese hotels are now offering free PCR gargle tests for their guests. These can be taken on site and either returned to reception or taken to one of the drop-off stations (Billa, Billa Plus, Bipa, Penny, BP-Merkur Inside, Jet-Billa Stop & Shop, Shell-Billa unterwegs). The result is available within 24 hours and is valid for 72 hours.
Please ask at the reception if your hotel participates in the promotion.
- In cooperation with the Vienna Medical Center, the Hotel Sacher offers its guests the possibility to get tested for COVID-19. The tests are performed in the guests’ rooms by a doctor using a throat swab. The result is available within 3-6 hours on average; the guest will receive a health certificate via email and can use it as required as confirmation for the return journey. You can find more information on the offer on the website of the Hotel Sacher.
- The Park Hyatt Vienna offers its own testing station (operated by the company Novogenia) right inside the hotel. Available from Monday to Saturday, from 8.00 am to 6.00 pm.
- Guests staying at all hotels in Vienna can utilize the service of DeliveryTest. A courier will come right to the hotel to collect the sample for a PCR test.
General tips on how to behave & hygiene measures (German only)