Testing options and to-dos in the event of an infection
Austria offers more (free) options for getting tested than virtually any other country in the world – including for guests without an Austrian social security number. So take the opportunity to get yourself tested and take care of yourself and those around you.
Free of charge
- The City of Vienna's Alles gurgelt! campaign is being expanded: Many Viennese hotels are now offering free PCR gargle tests for their guests. These can be taken on site and either returned to reception or taken to one of the drop-off stations (Billa, Billa Plus, Bipa, Penny, BP-Merkur Inside, Jet-Billa Stop & Shop, Shell-Billa unterwegs). The result is available within 24 hours and is valid for 72 hours.
Please ask at the reception if your hotel participates in the promotion.
- Tourists can get themselves tested (rapid antigen test) in the testing centers operated by the city of Vienna. An appointment is required! Please note that some test centers may only be visited if you do not have any symptoms!
- Guests with an Austrian E-Card/social security cover can also have themselves tested free of charge in pharmacies (registration required). In the shopping center "The Mall" near the Wien Mitte train station, free quick tests are also offered for guests with Austrian e-card/social insurance (pre-registration recommended).
- Self-conducted antigen self-tests can also be considered "entry tests" for 24 hours under certain conditions. All information can be found on the official coronavirus page of the City of Vienna (only available in German).
Important: An Austrian e-card/social security number is required for this.
- Private laboratories offer various testing options in Vienna.
- Guests can have an antigen test performed at any one of dozens of drugstores in Vienna (information only in German). An appointment is required.
- PCR and antigen tests can also be taken without an appointment at the COVID-19 test centers at Taubstummengasse 5, 1040 Vienna or Lugeck 6, 1010 Vienna.
- The Health Center at Vienna Airport offers the possibility to get a PCR test or a rapid antigen test (Roche SARS-CoV-2 Rapid Antigen Test).
- Hotel guests can also have a PCR test performed directly in the hotel via the service DeliveryTest. Trained couriers collect the samples.
- The Hotel Sacher, the Palais Hansen Kempinski and the Hotel Park Hyatt offer their guests the possibility to get tested for COVID-19 (rapid PCR test or antigen test) in the hotel. For more information, please refer to the websites of the hotels or contact them directly.
The provider freigetestet.at offers antigen testing under "video supervision": The test kit can be ordered for 17 euros (minimum purchase: 2 pieces). With the help of an app, the test procedure (duration: approx. 20 minutes) is recorded and transmitted to the provider. The result, which is valid for 48 hours, arrives in the inbox within 90 minutes. The app and website are currently only available in German, but the certificate is issued in English.
COVID-19 tests in Vienna
Should you fall sick during your stay, you will be taken care of and can avail yourself of free medical treatment. Please pay attention to the following procedures:
- If you suspect that you are infected, please stay in your room and avoid gatherings of people and public transport.
- Call the health hotline on 1450: You will be looked after by medical staff over the phone and given further information.
- You should also use the symptom checker.
Falling sick on vacation: precautions for people visiting Vienna
- If, despite taking every precaution, you fall sick when on vacation in Vienna, you can always trust in the city's extensive hygiene and safety measures. For suspected Covid 19 cases or mildly ill individuals who do not have the option of home quarantine, the Hotel de France is available.
- If you have to quarantine yourself in one of Vienna's facilities on the basis of an official measure or government notice (in accordance with the Epidemics Act), you won't have to pay the costs of doing so.
Testing to leave quarantine early
- Incoming travelers who want to release themselves from quarantine after five days by getting themselves tested (with a PCR or antigen test) can do so at any of the facilities listed here. Quarantine may be interrupted in order to go for the test.
- For people infected with the more infectious coronavirus variant B.1.1.7, the quarantine period will be extended to 14 days. This may only be ended early by passing another test. In this case, the quarantine can be ended early on day ten.