The impressive building was constructed by leading architect Karl Schwanzer as the Austria pavilion for the World Exhibition in 1958 and opened as a museum for the art of the 20th century in Vienna in 1962. At Belvedere 21 – as the house is called nowadays – contemporary art from Austria and temporary, international exhibitions have been presented since 2011. Architect Adolf Krischanitz adapted and remodeled Schwanzer's building for the re-opening in 2011. In 1958, Schwanzer received the Grand prix d'Architecture for the trendsetting and technically innovative design.
Museum, art platform, meeting point
The Belvedere has a total of three locations, with the Belvedere 21 seeing itself as a showplace for Austrian and international art of the present day. In the light-drenched, open spaces of the modern museum architecture, visitors are given an overview of the art created in Austria in the past 70 years and important international positions presented. The museum is the showplace for performative installations, film presentations, specialist lecture, readings, concerts and talks with artists, and offers a platform for the local art scene. After visiting the museum, Lucy Bar in Belvedere 21 invites you in for culinary refreshments.