Ernst Fuchs Museum
The magnificent property was built at the end of the 19th century as the summer residence of the Wagner family. With its legendary summer parties and salons, the Art Nouveau jewel's reputation extended far beyond the city limits. Because the greats of their time came and went here: apart from welcoming Gustav Klimt, Adolf Loos or Gustav Mahler, the Wagner Villa was a meeting place of fine Viennese artistic society. Stylistically, the residence is anchored in Historicism and was intended to pay homage to Wagner's favorite Italian architect, Palladio.
Then, however, Otto Wagner's villa fell silent for many years. Having been expropriated by the National Socialists, the former magnificent building passed into oblivion and finally fell victim to various speculative transactions that almost led to its collapse.
At the beginning of the 1970s, Ernst Fuchs finally brought a breath of fresh air and some fantastic ideas to
Hüttelbergstrasse 26. And did so literally – because the artist, who had dedicated himself to fantastic realism, spent two years having the property renovated and rebuilt, partly true to the original, partly according to his own ideas.
In the building, his paintings, sculptures and furniture are shown. Next to it, in Hüttelbergstrasse 28, a second villa by Otto Wagner dating from the years 1912-13 which is much more plain and its style much more modern, is located.