Your safe stay in Vienna
Restaurants, opera/concert halls, theaters and musical stages, as well as Vienna's hotels can finally reopen!
- The prerequisite for visiting restaurants, hotels, and cultural events is either a negative coronavirus test, proof of a vaccination or confirmation of recovery from Covid. PCR tests are valid for 72 hours, antigen tests for 48 hours, self-tests with digital solution for 24 hours.
Extensive testing options in Vienna
- For persons vaccinated with an EMA-approved vaccine, the following regulations apply:
- The initial vaccination is valid from the 22nd day after the 1st sting for a maximum of 3 months from the date of vaccination.
- The 2nd sting extends the validity period by an additional 6 months (thus a total of 9 months from the 1st sting).
- Vaccines where only one vaccination is scheduled (e.g., from Johnson & Johnson) are valid for a total of 9 months from the date of vaccination beginning on the 22nd day after vaccination.
- For previously recovered individuals who have previously been vaccinated once, the vaccination is valid for 9 months from the date of vaccination.
- In restaurants, outdoor 16 persons plus children will be allowed per table, indoor 8 plus children. Closing time is at 24 pm. Vaccinated, recovered, and tested persons can visit food outlets. Anyone who is unable to demonstrate a negative test result can exceptionally obtain it in the restaurant (valid only for the duration of the visit to the restaurant). Guests must register themselves. Inside a FFP2 mask must be worn away from the allocated seat.
All employees in the catering industry must be tested several times a week to ensure the safety of their guests.
- Hotels will reopen for leisure guests. Tested, vaccinated, and recovered persons will finally be allowed to stay overnight in Vienna again.
All employees in the hotel industry must be tested several times a week to ensure the safety of their guests.
- Our Tourist-Info at Albertinaplatz is open daily from 10 am to 4 pm. The Tourist Info at Vienna Main Station is open daily from 9 am to 3 pm.
Liberalization from 1.7.2021:
- Nightclubs, bars and discos may reopen. Access for tested, recovered and vaccinated persons.
- The mask obligation in the catering trade and the curfew fall. Access only for tested, vaccinated and recovered persons.
- The FFP2 mask requirement is abolished. In the future, simple mouth-nose protection may be worn in retail outlets, on public transportation, in enclosed public places and in museums.
- Large events are once again possible without restriction for vaccinated, recovered and tested persons - even without masks.
Mask requirement & distancing regulations
- FFP2 mask requirement in all enclosed public buildings (incl. underground pedestrian passageways, airports, etc.), public transport incl. station buildings, museums, shops and everywhere with a mandatory requirement to wear a mask (such as, for example, offices).
- The FFP2 mask requirement applies from the age of 14 years; a face covering may be worn from 6 to 14 years of age. Younger children need not cover their nose and mouth.
- Face shields or chin visors are no longer valid as nose-mouth protection.
- Outdoors and in public places, you should always keep a minimum distances of two meters from people who do not live in the same household.
Cultural and leisure facilities
- Cultural and leisure facilities (animal parks, zoos, and botanical gardens, as well as museums, theaters, concert halls, movie theaters, amusement parks, open-air swimming pools, gyms, archives, libraries, bookstores, etc.) are open. Everyone must wear an FFP2 mask and keep a minimum distance of 2 meters from others.
- Food and drink outlets are open again. The prerequisite for visiting restaurants is either a negative coronavirus test, proof of a vaccination (valid 22 days after first jab) or confirmation of recovery from Covid. PCR tests are valid for 72 hours, antigen tests for 48 hours, self-tests with digital solution for 24 hours
In restaurants, 16 persons plus children are allowed per table outdoors, 8 plus children indoors. Closing time is at 24 pm . Vaccinated, recovered and tested persons can visit the gastronomy. Those who do not have a negative test may exceptionally do so in the restaurant (valid only for the duration of the visit). Guests must register. Inside an FFP2 mask must be worn away from the assigned area.
- Hotels are open for leisure guests. Tested, vaccinated, and recovered persons will finally be allowed to stay overnight in Vienna again. Information for hotel guests
- Theaters, opera houses, concert halls, cinemas and other cultural institutions are allowed to sell a maximum of 75 % of the seats. In theaters, one seat must remain free between groups of visitors. FFP2 masks are compulsory, and entry is only possible for those who have been tested, recovered or vaccinated.
- FFP2 masks are mandatory to wear in museums. 10 m² per person must be ensured. Access tests are not required.
- Events (i.e. also fairs, congresses, meetings) will be possible again. A maximum of 1,500 people may attend indoors, and a maximum of 3,000 outdoors. Requirements: assigned seating, access only for those tested, recovered or vaccinated.
- For wellness areas (in hotels or spas), outdoor pools and indoor sports facilities (e.g. fitness centers), 10 m² per guest is mandatory. Vaccinated, recovered or tested persons are allowed to visit them.
- Retail is open. An FFP2 mask obligation applies. There must be 10 m² per customer.
- Sport in the outdoor areas of sports venues is possible if the specific type of sport does not result in physical contact. Here as well, the 1-meter rule and restrictions on the number of people apply. The practicing of sport in the indoor areas of sports venues is possible again.
- Service providers close to the body, such as hairdressers, beauty salons are open. A negative antigen (max. 48 hours old) or PCR test (max. 72 hours old) must be presented for the visit. FFP2 masks are mandatory. The result of a self-test will not be accepted.
- The Prater in Vienna is also open again. There, FFP2 masks are mandatory in all indoor areas and outdoors if the minimum distance of 2 meters cannot be maintained. In addition, the ride operators require a negative corona test. Anyone who does not have this with them can have themselves tested free of charge in two containers at the Prater entrances.
- Public transport in Vienna is not subject to any restrictions. An FFP2 mask must be worn inside the station buildings of public transport providers and in all forms of public transport.
- Our Tourist Info in the city center is open again daily from 10.00 am to 4.00 pm. The Tourist Info at Vienna Main Station is open from 9 am to 3 pm daily.
- Services operated by the City Airport Train CAT from the airport to Wien Mitte station have been suspended until further notice. Nevertheless, there are ways to travel between the airport and city center.
Information for guests of Vienna
- You can find the current coronavirus measures for Vienna and Austria on the website of the Federal Ministry of Social Affairs, Health, Care and Consumer Protection.
- Information on testing options for guests
- Information on arrival & departure and quarantine
- Information on overnight accommodation
- Frequently asked questions on coronavirus: FAQs
- Travel information of Austrian Airlines
- General information of the City of Vienna
- General information of the Ministry of Health (in German only)
- Information of the WHO in English (World Health Organization)