Vienna Boys' Choir
In Vienna, it is often possible to hear the Vienna Boy's Choir:
- Regularly as part of the Wiener Hofmusikkapelle at the Holy Mass in the Hofburg Chapel on Sundays (September to June). The ensemble is absolutely top-class: The Vienna Boys' Choir and members of the Male Choir of the Vienna State Opera as well as of the Vienna Philharmonic make music in the top gallery of the Hofburgkapelle.
- At the MuTh – that's their new concert hall, which opened in the Augarten in 2012. The name MuTh is an abbreviation of "Music and Theater" and its stage is home to daring music and theater productions. – A stage that offers a superb view for the 400 audience members and gives the actors almost as much space as the Vienna State Opera.
Wiener Sängerknaben - Wellerman
The MuTh is located right next to the Augartenpalais, where the Vienna Boys learn, live and sing. The new music center is a powerful cultural stimulus in the Augarten. The MuTh builds bridges: Between music and theater, tradition and experiment, great artists and - above all - the next generation.
If you want to know what a day with the Boys' Choir looks like: click here for our interview with Laurin, Julian, Yun-Jae, and Theo.
MuTh: Children's Operas and Friday Afternoons
The Vienna Boys' Choir, whose members range in age from kindergarten to high school (including a few girls!), presents itself in the MuTh with a classical program ranging from world music and pop to children's opera. At the Friday Afternoons, they present their latest repertoire.
Each season, the Boys' Choir performs a third of the MuTh program. This leaves lots of room for welcome guests: Musical educational establishments, festivals and cooperation partners perform at the MuTh.
100 voices in the Augarten
The 100 or so Vienna Boys are between 10 and 14 years of age and organized into four concert choirs. The give about 300 concerts each year - in front of almost half a million spectators around the world.
The beginnings of the choir can be traced to 1498, when Emperor Maximilian I. laid the foundation stone for the Viennese Court Music Orchestra - of which the Boys' Choir was a part.
Vienna Boys Choir: Wo die Zitronen blüh'n (2017)
MuTh – Concert Hall of the Vienna Boys' ChoirAm Augartenspitz 1
- Your benefit with the Vienna City Card: -10%
(Doppelschwingtüre 180 cm wide)
- Ramp 600 cm long , 150 cm wide , 30 cm high
- no steps (Doppelschwingtüre 180 cm wide)
- Door 90 cm wide
- Seeing eye dogs allowed
- 4 Wheelchair spaces available (in orchestra on right, row 12)
- Wheelchair accessible restroom available.
- Main entrance
Hofburg Chapel in the Imperial PalaceHofburg, Schweizerhof
- Mo, 10:00 - 14:00
- Tu, 10:00 - 14:00
- Fr, 11:00 - 13:00
closed on holidays
- 20 Steps (Doppelschwingtüre )
Special offers for people with disabilities
Wheelchair places (with access by elevator) can be booked via the office of the Chapel of the Imperial Palace: firstname.lastname@example.org or Fax: +43 1 533 99 27-75.
2 x 3 steps inside the building, no ramps.
- Main entrance