Program 2020/21: varied & diverse
Ten premieres, five revivals, and 22 works in the repertoire form the Volksoper program for 2020/21.
Pamina and Tamino face all tests together in Mozart's The Magic Flute (Die Zauberflöte). The opera Layla and Mejnun by Detlev Glanert celebrates its premiere in the Volksoper subsidiary Kasino am Schwarzenbergplatz.
The present-day Vienna Volksoper was opened in 1898 as the "Emperor's Anniversary City Theater" and initially run as a lyric theater only. Operas and musical comedies were subsequently added to the program in 1903. World-famous singers such as Maria Jeritza, Leo Slezak and Richard Tauber performed here, and Alexander Zemlinsky worked here as conductor.
At selected operettas and musicals, subtitles in English bring the show's action a bit closer to non-German speaking visitors; after all, "The whole world loves operettas…!"
Vienna VolksoperWähringer Straße 78
- +43 1 51444-3670 (Information)
- +43 1 513 1 513 (Tickets (credit card))
- Your benefit with the Vienna City Card: -10%
- Door 80 cm wide
- Seeing eye dogs allowed
- 2 Wheelchair spaces available (in stalls, 13 additional wheelchair seats possible, prior notification via phone required 10 days before performance)
- Wheelchair accessible restroom available.
Elevator not suitable for wheelchairs.
- Elevator available