The impressive building was constructed by leading architect Karl Schwanzer as the Austria pavilion for the World Exhibition in 1958 and opened as a museum for the art of the 20th century in Vienna in 1962. At Belvedere 21 – as the house is called nowadays – contemporary art from Austria and temporary, international exhibitions have been presented since 2011. In the light-drenched, open spaces of the modern museum architecture, visitors are given an overview of the art created in Austria in the past 70 years and important international positions presented. The museum is the showplace for performative installations, film presentations, specialist lecture, readings, concerts and talks with artists, and offers a platform for the local art scene. After visiting the museum, Lucy Bar in Belvedere 21 invites you in for culinary refreshments.
Architect Adolf Krischanitz adapted and remodeled Schwanzer's building for the re-opening in 2011. In 1958, Schwanzer received the Grand prix d'Architecture for the trendsetting and technically innovative design.
Belvedere 21Arsenalstraße 1, 1030 Wien
- Your benefit with the Vienna City Card: 25% off / 2€ off
- Young people under 19 €0
- Tu, 11:00 - 18:00
- We, 11:00 - 18:00
- Th, 11:00 - 21:00
- Fr, 11:00 - 21:00
- Sa, 11:00 - 18:00
- Su, 11:00 - 18:00
- Public Holidays (including Monday and Tuesday) 11 am-6 pm
- no steps (Double swinging doors 140 cm wide )
- 1 Parking spaces for people with disabilities
- 100 cm wide and 250 cm low , Door 90 cm wide
- Seeing eye dogs allowed
- 2 Wheelchair spaces available (spaces in the Blickle cinema by the entrance on the right)
- Wheelchair accessible restroom available.
Special offers for people with disabilities
Tactile tours on the architecture of 21er Haus and the sculptures of Fritz Wotrub for blind and visually impaired people. Seating in collection area.
Sitzmöglichkeiten in den Ausstellungen, im Foyer und in der Garderobe.
- Main entrance
Lucy Bar at Belvedere 21Arsenalstraße 1, 1030 Wien
- Your benefit with the Vienna City Card: 10% off
- Mo, 10:00 - 18:00
- Tu, 10:00 - 18:00
- We, 10:00 - 18:00
- Th, 10:00 - 18:00
- Fr, 10:00 - 18:00
- Sa, 10:00 - 18:00
- Su, 10:00 - 18:00