Exterior view of Wilhelminenberg Palace by day

You are here:

Wilhelminenberg: Pleasurable hiking

The Wilhelminenberg is named after Wilhelmine Montléart-Sachsen-Curland, an aristocratic benefactress in Vienna at the end of the 19th century. Today, the mountain is popular excursion destination, which can be easily reached by bus and car. However, it is best enjoyed on foot: the well signposted Vienna City Hiking Trail 4a leads past the prettiest places in Ottakring and presents Vienna's 16th district away from the Brunnenmarkt and trendy meeting places.

The hike beings at the terminus of the U3 underground line, leads past Ottakring Cemetery, which is worth seeing, and finally passes the historic Kuffner Observatory. This 19th jewel invites you to gaze at the stars with faithfully restored astronomical instruments. Those who would like to enjoy another delightful panorama of Vienna should hike on to the Jubiläumswarte on the summit of the Wilhelminenberg. A wooden tower was originally erected here in 1898 to mark the fiftieth anniversary of the reign of Emperor Franz Joseph I.; since the 1950s, a 31 meter-high concrete columns has stood here, with spiral staircase and viewing platform.

One of the highlights of the loop hike is Wilhelminenberg Palace. It was built in 1908 in the neo-Empire style and today houses a hotel and a restaurant. A wonderful view over Vienna as well as culinary delicacies can be enjoyed on the viewing terrace. Everything required for a romantic picnic with a panoramic view is available on the large neighboring meadow.

Ottakring cemetery

Gallitzinstraße 5
1160 Vienna

Kuffner Observatory (Kuffner Sternwarte)

Johann-Staud-Straße 10
1160 Vienna
  • Vienna City Card

    • Benefits of the Vienna City Card: -10%

      Additional information on the offer:

      Standard ticket price: 10€
      With Vienna City Card: 9€

  • Opening times

    • April to September
      Guided tours: Tue 9 p.m., Sat. 5 p.m. and 9 p.m.; guided tours for groups also available by appointment
    • October to March
      Guided tours: Tue 8 p.m., Sat. 5 p.m. and 8 p.m.; guided tours for groups also available by appointment
  • Accessibility

    • Further information
      • Seeing eye dogs allowed
    • Comments

      Main and side entrance: steps, single swinging doors, auditorium: 15 steps and 6 steps.

      Main building dome: 74 steps


Johann-Staud-Straße 80
1160 Vienna
Rate this article

Fancy more?