Economist 2023: Vienna is the most liveable city
The EIU (Economist Intelligence Unit) is the research and analysis division of The Economist Group and provides forecasting and consulting services on an international level. The "Global Liveability Index", which has been published annually since 2004, compares over 100 cities around the world. In June 2023, Vienna was voted into first place once again. In 2018, Vienna was the very first European city to lead the ranking and has thus replaced Melbourne, which held the title of most livable city for seven years. In 2019 and 2022, Vienna retained the top ranking.
In addition to criteria such as healthcare, education, infrastructure, and culture, Vienna scored particularly well in the areas of safety and stability.
Spots two to five are occupied by Copenhagen, Melbourne, Sydney and Vancouver.
Vienna is at the top of many international rankings:
- 2023: 1st place of the most liveable cities in the "Global Liveability Index" ranking of the "Economist Intelligence Unit" (EIU).
- 2023: Ranked 1st most liveable city in "Monocle's Quality of Life Survey 2023".
- 2022: 1st place in the ranking of globally held international congress events conducted by International Congress and Convention Association (ICCA)
- 2019: 1st place in the "Smart City Strategy Index" of the global consulting firm Roland Berger
- 2019: Ranked #1 most livable city in the "Quality of Living" study by Mercer
- 2018: "Best International Destination 2017" in the ranking of the largest LGBT travel platform GayTravel.com