Vienna's Ringstrasse

The Ringstrasse in the twilight, view of Parliament

You are here:

Palais of Archduke Wilhelm at the Ringstrasse in Vienna
© Rupert Steiner

Ringstrasse Palaces

The building sites along the emerging Ringstrasse were not only occupied by public buildings. This is why members of the upwardly striving bourgeoisie (among them many Jewish families) received the opportunity to purchase sites and erect splendid palaces along Vienna’s most important boulevard, thereby demonstrating their wealth. They became the city’s centers of economic and social life. The most famous such site is the Palais Lieben-Auspitz, which today houses the Café Landtmann: Berta Zuckerkandl held her famous literary salon there. And in Palais Todesco by the Opera, Baroness Todesco held court and hosted Vienna’s most prominent personalities on a regular basis. Palais Ephrussi by Schottentor is also famous due to its “main role” in the bestseller, “The Hare with the Amber Eyes”.

Royal families often occupied the entire building with their servants, while other palaces were partially rented out. Even two Habsburgs made their home in the Ringstrasse: Archduke Ludwig Viktor, Kaiser Franz Joseph’s youngest brother, had a palace built on Schwarzenbergplatz. And Archduke Wilhelm commissioned Theophil von Hansen to build a grand palace on the Parkring. Many former palaces are now luxury hotels.

The most important palaces at a glance:

  • Palais Ephrussi (Universitätsring 4)
  • Palais Epstein (Dr. Karl Renner Ring 1; now belongs to the Parliament; tours on Sat. at 11:00 and 14:00)
  • Palais Hansen (Schottenring 20-26; today the Kempinski Hotel)
  • Palais of Archduke Ludwig Viktor (Schubertring/Schwarzenbergplatz 1; today the “Kasino” of the Burgtheater)
  • Palais Württemberg (Kärntner Ring 16; today the Hotel Imperial)
  • Palais of Archduke Wilhelm (Parkring 8; today an OFID building)
  • Palais Henckel von Donnersmarck (Parkring 14, Weihburggasse 32)
  • Palais Königswarter (Kärntner Ring 4; from 1890 to 1940, the Burgtheater actress Katharina Schratt, companion to Kaiser Franz Joseph, lived in a 500 m² flat in the fourth floor of the palace)
  • Palais Leitenberger (Parkring 16)
  • Palais Lieben-Auspitz (Oppolzergasse 6/Universitätsring 4; today it is the Café Landtmann)
  • Palais Todesco (Kärntner Strasse 51; today it is the Gerstner K. u. K. Hofzuckerbäcker - Shop, Bar & Café-Restaurant)
  • Adels Casino, Palais Ölzelt, Palais Gutmann and Palais Borkenstein (Schubertring and Beethovenplatz; today the Hotel Ritz-Carlton)
  • Palais Dumba (Parkring 4)

Palais Ephrussi

Universitätsring 14
1010 Vienna

Palais Epstein

Dr.-Karl-Renner-Ring 1
1010 Vienna
  • Opening times

    • Guided tour Sa, 10:30 - 00:00
    • Guided tour Sa, 13:30 - 00:00

Palais Hansen

Schottenring 20-26
1010 Vienna

Kasino am Schwarzenbergplatz

Schwarzenbergplatz 1
1010 Vienna

Palais Württemberg

Kärntner Ring 16
1010 Vienna

Palais Erzherzog Wilhelm

Parkring 8
1010 Vienna

Palais Henckel von Donnersmarck

Parkring 14
1010 Vienna

Palais Königswarter

Kärntner Ring 4
1010 Vienna

Palais Leitenberger

Parkring 16
1010 Vienna

Café Landtmann

Universitätsring 4
1010 Vienna
  • Opening times

    • Mo - Su, 07:30 - 00:00
    • Piano music Su, Mo, Tu 8:00 pm - 11:00 pm (summer: only Mo, Tu)

  • Accessibility

    • Main entrance
      • no steps (Doppelschwingtüre 120 cm wide)
    • Further information
      • Seeing eye dogs allowed
      • Wheelchair accessible restroom available.

Palais Todesco

Kärntner Strasse 51
1010 Vienna

Adels Casino

Schubertring
1010 Vienna

Palais Dumba

Parkring 4
1010 Vienna