St. Charles Church
The church, finished in 1739 by his son Joseph Emanuel Fischer von Erlach, was built as the result of a vow taken by Emperor Charles VI during a plague epidemic. The church is consecrated to the patron saint of the Habsburg emperor, Saint Charles Borromeo: The exhibits in the small Museo Borromeo include the traveling clothes of the Bishop of Milan.
The renovation of the High Altar, designed by Fischer von Erlach, has been completed and it has regained its original splendor. The opulent frescoes in the cupola by Johannes Michael Rottmayr contain 1250 square meters of incredible splendor and beautiful colors; they show the glory of Saint Charles Borromeo. A panoramic elevator carries visitors to a platform at a height of 32.5 meters, where they can look at the frescoes from close up. The view into the nave from above is breathtaking.
Tips for music fans: In the Karlskirche (Church of St. Charles), church concerts (Mozart's Requiem, Vivaldi's Four Seasons) are performed on a regular basis. During Advent, atmospheric gospel singing fills the sacred building.
St. Charles' ChurchKarlsplatz
Your benefit with the Vienna City Card:
Additional information on the offer: Standard ticket price: 8€
- Your benefit with the Vienna City Card: -38%
- Mo, 09:00 - 18:00
- Tu, 09:00 - 18:00
- We, 09:00 - 18:00
- Th, 09:00 - 18:00
- Fr, 09:00 - 18:00
- Sa, 09:00 - 18:00
- Su, 12:00 - 19:00
- on holidays, 12:00 - 19:00
(300 cm wide)
Heavy wooden door
- 14 Steps (300 cm wide)
(Automatische Schiebetüre 0 cm wide)
Heavy wooden door
- (Automatische Schiebetüre 0 cm wide)
- Seeing eye dogs allowed
Special offers for people with disabilities
Visitors with ID for persons with special needs: free entry and elevator to the panorama.
Interior: 11 steps. Ask staff for assistance.
Last elevator showing of the cupola: 17:30 and Sun & public holidays 18:30.
- Main entrance
Operating hours of the panoramic elevator:
Mo-Sa 9.00 am - 5.30 pm
Su 12.00 noon - 6.30 pm