Austrian National Library, State Hall
The former Court Library was created in the first half of the 18th century as a private wing of the Hofburg imperial residence. Emperor Karl VI. ordered its construction. The library was built by Joseph Emanuel Fischer von Erlach according to plans of his father, Johann Bernhard Fischer von Erlach.
The impressive state hall of the library is almost 80 m long and 20 m high and is crowned by a dome that is magnificently decorated with frescoes by the court painter Daniel Gran. More than 200,000 volumes are exhibited here, among them the comprehensive library of Prince Eugene of Savoy as well as one of the largest collections of Martin Luther’s writings from the Reformation Era.
Among the exhibits are two exquisite Venetian baroque globes: one for the earth and one for the sky, each with a diameter of more than one meter.
Austrian National Library (Österreichische Nationalbibliothek)Josefsplatz 1 , 1010 Wien
- Your benefit with the Vienna City Card: 13% off , 1€ off
- Tu, 10:00 - 18:00
- We, 10:00 - 18:00
- Th, 10:00 - 21:00
- Fr, 10:00 - 18:00
- Sa, 10:00 - 18:00
- Su, 10:00 - 18:00
- no steps
- 122 cm wide and 130 cm low , Door 90 cm wide
- Seeing eye dogs allowed
- Wheelchair accessible restroom available.
Special offers for people with disabilities
Guided tours for visitors with disabilities and special needs on prior arrangement.
Main entrance on first floor and access to Grand Hall on second floor: entrance Josefsplatz.
- Main entrance