The Picture Gallery in the building erected by Theophil Hansen on Vienna's Schillerplatz is home to outstanding works by old masters from across several centuries of art history.
The Picture Gallery of the Academy of Fine Arts houses a total of 1,600 works, beginning with paintings from the 14th century. Among others, it owns outstanding works by Dutch and Flemish painters of the 17th century (including Rubens, Rembrandt and van Dyck) as well as the famous Last Judgment altar by Hieronymus Bosch. Also on display: Murillo's "Dice Throwers", Venetian vedutas by Francesco Guardi, and paintings by Lukas Cranach the Older, Titian, and representatives of Viennese classicism around 1800.
The Academy of Fine Arts was constructed as a classical building from 1872 to 1876 according to plans by the star architect of the time, Theophil Hansen. After three and a half years of general refurbishment, it has appeared in new splendor again since October 2021.
1 / 7
Academy of Fine Arts, Picture Gallery (Gemäldegalerie der Akademie der bildenden Künste)