Museum of Military History
History of warfare and the military, technology and science, art and architecture are all merged into one in the Museum of Military History. The building alone is phenomenal: the museum was built between 1850 and 1856 under the plans of Ludwig Förster and Theophil Hansen as a centerpiece of the Arsenal military complex. It is therefore the oldest museum in the city. The architects had already anticipated the style of the Ringstrasse: it is dominated by the Moorish-Byzantine and neo-Gothic styles.
The museum’s main focus is the history of the Habsburg Monarchy up until its disintegration in 1918. In one hall, visitors can see the automobile in which Franz Ferdinand, the heir to the throne, and his wife were shot in 1914, the Archduke’s blood-soaked uniform jacket and the chaise longue on which he died. In the Franz Joseph Hall are several personal objects which belonged to the Emperor and his son, Crown Prince Rudolf. Additional rooms are dedicated to Prince Eugene, Maria Theresia and numerous wars which Austria fought in (often unsuccessfully). A centerpiece of the collection is the so-called “Marine Hall”: an exhibition on Austria’s history as a naval power. What many people do not know is that when Austria still had access to the seas, it was a major naval power for over 200 years.
Museum of Military History (Heeresgeschichtliches Museum)Arsenal, Objekt 1
Your benefit with the Vienna City Card:
Additional information on the offer: Standard ticket price: 7€
- Your benefit with the Vienna City Card: -29%
- Free admission on first Sunday of the month
- Mo, 09:00 - 17:00
- Tu, 09:00 - 17:00
- We, 09:00 - 17:00
- Th, 09:00 - 17:00
- Fr, 09:00 - 17:00
- Sa, 09:00 - 17:00
- Su, 09:00 - 17:00
- on holidays, 09:00 - 17:00
closed Jan 1, Easter Sunday, May 1, Nov 1, Dec 25, Dec 31
Access via ramp
- 3 Steps
Access via ramp
- Ramp 119 cm wide
- 2 Steps
Car parks Main entrance
- 4 Parking spaces for people with disabilities
- Seeing eye dogs allowed
- Wheelchair accessible restroom available.
Access to Tank Garden (Panzergarten) on ground floor.
- Main entrance