The “World’s Fair Challenge”: a fun way to discover Vienna
The Vienna World’s Fair 1873 was the major event that made Vienna a global metropolis. To mark this significant anniversary, ivie is offering a special opportunity in the form of the World’s Fair Challenge to follow in the footsteps of the Vienna World’s Fair in a fun way using a smartphone.
The challenge involves visiting special locations in Vienna that have a connection with the historical event. This is how it works: In order to score points for the challenge, you have to check-in digitally at 9 locations across Vienna with your smartphone and correctly answer 3 quiz questions for each location.
Tap here to open the World’s Fair Challenge in ivie
Download ivie for free (iOS or Android)
Exclusive prizes await: each month, 100 original Vienna snow globes decorated with a World’s Fair motif are handed out to all the participants who reach the minimum points threshold. You need to score maximum points in order to be eligible for the main prize. The main prize is a luxury weekend in Vienna for two people in the legendary Hotel Imperial. Here’s a tip for you: we recommend you read the description in ivie for each location if you want to answer all the questions correctly.
There are many locations in Vienna that can trace their roots back to the Vienna World’s Fair 1873. Among the highlights are renowned traditional Viennese companies such as J. & L. Lobmeyr, which exhibited at the World’s Fair in 1873, as are museums hosting special exhibitions celebrating the World’s Fair, while coffee houses and hotels that opened in 1873 are also part of the challenge. The same goes for the campus of WU Vienna, the main site of the World’s Fair showground in 1873.
These 9 locations must be visited if you want to score maximum points. It is not necessary to go into the museums, shops, coffee houses and hotels in order to complete the check-in. The check-in will work within a distance of 100 meters from the locations.
- J. & L. Lobmeyr
- Museum of Applied Arts
- A.E. Köchert Jewelers
- Weltmuseum Wien
- Hotel Imperial
- Gerstner K.u.K. Hofzuckerbäcker
- Café Landtmann
- Austrian Museum of Folk Life and Folk Art
- Vienna University of Economics and Business Campus (WU)
How many points you need to win
In order to be eligible to win the main prize (a luxury weekend (Friday - Sunday) for two people in Vienna’s legendary Hotel Imperial, you will need to score the maximum 45 points.
You can achieve this by answering all the quiz questions (3 questions per location) correctly and checking in at all 9 of the World’s Fair locations in the ivie challenge – the digital check-in will work within a distance of 100 meters of the location.
- Answer all 3 quiz questions for each location correctly to score 3 points. What if you answer one of them wrongly? You can repeat each quiz as many times as you like.
- The digital check-in will give you 2 points per location.
- Each location therefore gives you a maximum of 5 points.
You will need at least 29 points to get your hands on a snow globe with a World’s Fair motif (100 snow globes are handed out each month). You can do this by, for instance, answering all the quiz questions correctly (there are 3 questions per location) and completing at least one check-in (2 points). You need to be registered on the ivie app.
You can pick up your snow globe from the Tourist Information Albertinaplatz (Albertinaplatz 1, 1010 Vienna). The staff there will ask to see your points score in the ivie app.
FAQs – World’s Fair Challenge
What will I need before I can take part in the challenge?
- You will need an up-to-date smartphone and the free ivie app (available in the Apple and Google Play stores).
- The World’s Fair Challenge is listed on the ivie home page and main menu.
- You will need to accept the conditions of participation and switch on location-sharing in order to start the quiz.
Do I need to be in Vienna in order to take part in the challenge?
- Location-sharing on your smartphone is required in order to take part in the challenge. You do not have to be in Vienna, however, if you just want to answer the quiz questions. If you want to be eligible for the monthly or main prize, you do need to be in Vienna and visit the World’s Fair locations in person.
Do I have to reveal the location of my smartphone, and if so why?
- If you want to be in with a chance of winning, you need to visit the World’s Fair locations in Vienna for the ivie challenge and check-in using the app. This requires location-sharing to be activated on your phone.
How do I check in at the various locations?
- You must be in the immediate vicinity of the particular location. Open the respective location in the ivie app and click on Check-In. When ivie asks you to identify your location, you must confirm this in order to complete the check-in. The check-in will work within a distance of 100 meters from the locations. You do not have to enter the premises.
How do I qualify for the monthly prize, an original Vienna snow globe?
- You need to score at least 29 points. You can do this by, for example, answering all the quiz questions correctly (there are 3 questions per location) and check in to at least one location. You need to be signed in to the app.
Where do I pick up the snow globe from?
- You will need to collect your snow globe from the Tourist Information Albertinaplatz (Albertinaplatz 1, 1010 Vienna) and show your points score in the ivie app to the staff there. Please be aware that the snow globes are limited in number! 100 snow globes are handed out each month.
- Each participant can only pick up a maximum of one snow globe.
What do I need to do to be eligible for the main prize, a luxury weekend at the Hotel Imperial?
- If you want to enter the draw for the main prize, you need to score the maximum 45 points. You can do this by answering all the quiz questions (3 questions per location) correctly and by checking in at all 9 of the World’s Fair locations in the ivie challenge.
- You need to be registered on the ivie app.
When will the winner of the main prize be announced?
- The draw for the main prize will take place once the challenge ends on December 31, 2023. The winner(s) will be informed by email.
When does the World’s Fair Challenge finish?
- The challenge will come to an end on December 31, 2023.
What does the luxury weekend include?
- The luxury weekend at the Hotel Imperial includes two nights’ accommodation from Friday to Sunday for two people – with a champagne breakfast included.